Sunday, October 30, 2011

In Remembering Our Departed Loved Ones...


(Image from the Web)


I saw this beautiful poem from Paolo Coelho’s blog. When I read it the first time, it brought tears to my eyes.

It’s All Saints’ and All Souls’ Days here in the Philippines and I thought it timely to share this with you as we remember our departed loved ones. Although we are already doing Halloween parties and trick or treating here (which is a Western influence), we still have a tradition that is uniquely Filipino...that is, visiting our dead relatives in their resting place...

Do not weep for me when I no longer dwell
among the wonders of the earth; for my larger
self is free, and my soul rejoices on the other
side of pain…on the other side of darkness.

Do not weep for me, for I am a ray of sunshine
that touches your skin, a tropical breeze
upon your face, the hush of joy within your heart
and the innocence of babes in mothers arms.
I am the hope in a darkened night. And, in your
hour of need, I will be there to comfort you.
I will share your tears, your joys, your fears,
your disappointments and your triumphs.

Do not weep for me, for I am cradled
in the arms of God. I walk with the angels,
and hear the music beyond the stars.

Do not weep for me, for I am within you;
I am peace, love, I am a soft wind that caresses
the flowers. I am the calm that follows a
raging storm. I am an autumns leaf that floats
among the garden of God, and I am pure
white snow that softly falls upon your hand.

Do not weep for me, for I shall never die,
as long as you remember me…
with a smile and a sigh.


Weep not for me
Written by: Joe Fazio

This is very personal post for me…and my heart feels like it is being crushed while composing this.

Almost 2 years ago, my brother, Noel, passed away. Until now, the pain has not yet subsided. It’s just there; sometimes I thought the wound is already healed. But when I remember him, it feels fresh. At other times, it doesn’t feel true. Sometimes, I still wish that it was just a nightmare and when I go home to Bulacan, I will still see him. Or he’ll have a business trip here in Cebu and bring crates of pomelo from Davao. But I know we have to accept our loss, the same way others have accepted theirs. But if only through this post, I’d like to let my brother know that I love him. I can’t go home and visit his grave this November 1 but I will always remember him in my heart and will always be praying for him.

Although I still get sad at times, I am hoping that through this poem, may we find solace that our beloved dead are already at peace and happy with our Creator. Let us just think of and cherish the happy times we spent with them…And let's also prepare for the day when we are also called home and we will see them again….

And may the souls of our faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen. (",)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for checking out my post! :) Please feel free to leave me some <3 notes. (",)